Friday, October 26, 2007

Time to Get Back Into Housing? Buffet Thinks So

The U.S. housing sector is a mess, everyone’s waiting for the next shoe to drop in the whole sub prime fiasco and all the analysts are advising clients to avoid the sector. You’d have to be crazy to invest in the U.S housing sector right now… right? Well maybe not, last month Warren Buffet raised $750 million through a debt offering for Clayton Homes, which “builds, sells, finances, leases, and insures manufactured and modular homes as well as re-locatable commercial and educational buildings.”

Other successful investors initiating positions in the housing market include:
Robert Robotti
Robert Rodriguez

7 comments:

Traciatim said...

Isn't a major component of value investing and the buffet strategy to basically look for deals when all the others are running for the hills? (I mean, it's a little simple, but isn't that mostly the way it goes).

MG (moneygardener) said...

What should a dividend growth investor consider buying to play into this strategy?

MASCO
HOME DEPOT
LOWES
WASHINGTON MUTUAL
BANK OF AMERICA
D.R. HORTON

Anonymous said...

It's too early still, ARM resets will be happening until mid 2009. And then after that we still have the after effects in the consumer market as less people have sufficient buying power.

I wouldn't look at US housing until at least mid 2009, possibly as far as 2011 - housing takes years to turn in either direction.

Unknown said...

Hi Middle Class Millionaire,

I want to make one review of your blog and want your permission. I have already mailed you a proposal. pLease give me your feedback on this.

Thanks,
Liza

Anonymous said...

MG,

I've recently been looking at HD and BAC but have decided to take a wait and see approach. Another one I'm looking at is the SPDR homebuilders ETF (XHB). I'll post a little more on it later today.

Anonymous said...

Terrific post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on
this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thank you!

Here is my website ... look at this
My website :: payday laon

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS said...

Warren was way off the mark